- Continuity errors - I discovered this week that the Benjamins live on the 5th, 6th and 8th floor! They actually live on the 7th so I got it wrong every time.
- Chapter errors - I began the week with two chapter 6s, no chapter 17 and one chapter that was far too long.
- Character voice - I tweak what characters say to make sure it really sounds like them rather than sounding like me.
- Missing words - I estimate that I have added over 1000 words this week.
- Grammar/Spelling errors - thank goodness for the blue, red and green squiggly lines in Word. Unfortunately it does not spot words that are wrong but have a correct spelling. For example, my spelling of 'nodding' was wrong twice. Despite my age I mixed up the ds with bs. It did make for an amusing sentence though.
- Thematic omissions - there are certain themes I need to have running through the books. As I read the books I make sure that these are still present. This may be just one word or a sentence but I still put them in.
- Factual checks - much of what I write is based on fact and if I include something which is real I just make sure that what I have written is correct.
Before I sit down to attempt the second draft I am both hopeful and fearful. I hope that what I have written is good but I always fear that it is not.
For the last five days I have been reading through the 100,000 words of Book 2 and I have really enjoyed myself. This sounds like a rather big headed and arrogant comment as I wrote Book 2. However, if I don't enjoy it then I am pretty sure my readers will not enjoy it either. I think that 'Survival Instinct' starts slowly but the excitement builds and I found it hard to pull myself away from the computer as I got deeper into the plot. I have one worry about the story but this could just be paranoia and I will see if my editors feel the same after reading 'Survival Instinct' rather than writing about it here.
Despite enjoying the reading this week I do find redrafting tiring. There are number of things I look out for when I do the second draft. These include:
The second draft is now complete and I will pass it onto to my editors. For the time being it is out of my hands and I look forward to their feedback.
is the author of the popular 'Adventures of Eric and Ursula' books. The series have been called 'wonderful' and 'fantastic' and are 5 star books on Amazon.